On , March 11th, President Joe Biden signed the American Rescue Plan as a COVID-19 stimulus package into law. The American Rescue Plan will distribute more than $130 billion to local governments, including almost $9 billion for rural county governments, plus additional funds for the cities located in those counties. Additionally, The American Rescue Plan will provide funds to each of the nation’s 3,143 county-level governments, plus more than 26,000 municipalities. To read more, click the link below!
The Virginia Academy of Family Physicians (VAFP) Foundation is delighted to announce one new medical student scholarship and one new resident scholarship annually for assistance with education loan repayment.
Many medical students and family medicine residents in Virginia have expressed an interest in staying in Virginia after their graduation to complete a family medicine residency or to practice in a medically underserved area. Over the past two years the VAFP Foundation has received donations to support this effort to keep our own.
Annually the Foundation will offer one graduating Virginia medical student a $1,000 scholarship. The successful candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Graduating Virginia medical student in good academic standing
- Entering a Virginia family medicine residency program. A letter from the program director is required.
- Will have completed the PGY-1 year successfully and be entering into the PGY-2 year at that program. A letter from the program director is required in order to receive the scholarship check for loan repayment at that time.
- Must submit a 250-500 word letter explaining why he/she wants to practice family medicine in Virginia as a resident and as a family physician.
In addition, the Foundation will offer one $1,500 scholarship for a graduating PGY-3 Virginia family medicine resident who wishes to practice in an underserved area of Virginia. The requirements for this scholarship are as follows:
- Graduating as a PGY-3 Virginia family medicine resident
- Have an up-to-date Virginia medical license
- Practicing family medicine in an underserved medical area after graduation as designated by United States Human Resource Service Administration (HRSA) and/or Virginia Department of Health. A letter verifying this is required.
- Must submit a 250-500-word letter explaining why they he/she wants to practice in an underserved area of Virginia
- Practicing at the underserved site for one year. Documentation is necessary to receive the scholarship check for loan repayment after one year of practice in an underserved area.
Application letters may be sent to Mrs. Mary Lindsay White at email@example.com or to Dr. Roger Hofford firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for application letters is May 31, 2016.
If anyone is interested in making tax deductible donation in support or expansion of this effort, or is interested in learning more about the VAFP Foundation, please visit our website at http://www.vafpf.org.
Are you a health professions student wondering how you are going to afford your education? Or a rural provider trying to recruit new practitioners?
If so – we have two great guides for you!
First are the presentation slides from Head for the Hills from Justin Crow’s Getting the Most from Federal & State Loan Repayment Programs discussion. This provides an in-depth guide as to what programs are available and who qualifies for them.
AND – from the Rural Assistance Center – Scholarships, Loans, and Loan Repayment for Rural Health Professions
This guide includes:
- Types of Health Education Financial Aid
- Operating Successful Rural Health Education Financial Aid Programs
- Frequently Asked Questions
Rural areas face a documented shortage of essential healthcare professionals, especially in primary care fields. The rising costs of education directly impact the ability of students to pursue a healthcare degree and compound the rural health workforce shortage. These guides help to bridge the gap.
Funds will cover conference registration fees.
Completed forms must be e-mailed to email@example.com on or before September 4th. Winners will be announced on September 11th.