Many medical students will soon be wrapping up their 3rd year. What do you need to do to prepare for the 4th?
After three years of arduous studying, exams and clinical rotations, you’re finally in the home-stretch to completing your undergraduate medical training and transitioning to the next phase of your career in residency.
AMA has developed a 4th year student checklist. As you apply to programs this year, keep these tasks top of mind to reduce stress and ensure you have an effective residency application process:
- May-June: Obtain your token for the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS)
- June-July: If you’re an osteopathic applicant, register for the AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program
- July-August: Use these months to prepare supplemental application materials
- September: Select and apply to programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- October-January: Schedule and travel to interviews
- February: AOA Intern/Resident Registration Program match results will be available
- March: NRMP main residency Match results are announced
The next year will fly fast – make sure you’re ready to soar!